cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Alek Tarkowski <alek.tarkowski AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:14:37 +0200

Hello everyone,

I have several comments regarding the color coding badges, in part based
on a discussion on the same issue that ran in march on the cc-icommons list.

points raised there against color coding included problems that color blind people might have, monochrome displays and ambiguity of the scheme when a single color
is presented outside of the whole spectrum. basically, the buttons would
have to direct everyone to an image of the whole spectrum for the scheme
to be clear to new users of licenses / buttons.

personally, i don't
consider blue or green to have anything to do with freedom, and then
there are probably cultural differences in color symbolism that should
be considered. and then yellow and orange makes me nervous, should i
really be scared of a cc-by-nc-nd license? but then, when you look at
the ever more common rss icon for instance, does the color seem to
convey any information? i'd say, no - we're used to all sorts of colors
on the web.

i agree that it is good to differentiate licenses - but maybe this does not have to be done at button level? maybe we need really good infographics describing the "freedom spectrum" of licenses? or more tools like firefox extensions (a mozcc add-on?) that could in some smart way convey such information?

regarding the descriptions at the bottom, there might be a potential difficulty with
translating them. firstly, in polish for instance 'free as in freedom'
and 'free as in speech' does not sound particularly well as a short slogan. and 'your
rights removed' translates into a string so long that the button would
have to be at least two times wider!

best,

alek tarkowski

--