cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Erik Moeller" <eloquence AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 03:02:15 +0200

On 6/9/06, Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com> wrote:

Very nice effort, BTW. I covered your startup in the
current LinuxUser & Developer (#62, coincidentally, I
received your PR right before I had to send off the
news, so I snuck it in at the last minute).

Thanks! :-)

Well, I prefer for there to be a distinction, because it matters to some
people.

Sure, but it *shouldn't* matter. It's unnecessary infighting among
groups that fundamentally share very similar values. I say that as a
person who made the transition from favoring copyleft to favoring
public domain, and who has argued both sides of the fence. But again,
that is of course a political stance, and given that I think it's
silly to fight about it, I won't get into a big argument about whether
they should have different colors either. :-)

Likewise, an argument could be made that both NC and ND should be
yellow, instead of having an orange at all, but I thought it's nice to
have some distinction (but yellow and orange have very similar psychological
impact). Personally, I find ND less threatening than NC, because I don't
feel like it's "pretending to be free" -- the artist surely knows they
aren't
promoting any kind of commons with an ND work. But the ND is both
less 'free' and less 'commons-friendly' than NC, IMHO.

Well, that depends on what you mean by "commons-friendly". The problem
with NC is that it causes incompatibility with works under more
permissive licenses -- it promotes an isolated NC pseudocommons.
Fortunately, through some recent talks, I've been getting the feeling
that the free content ideology is catching on, especially in academia.

"1" -- single CPU limitations and other things that prevent you from
having backup copies, etc. Can't burn songs to CD, etc.

I think this doesn't work at all - it's neither intuitive nor
cool-looking. My first guess was that it had something to do with copy
prevention flags (1/0). Perhaps, if you want a no-backup symbol,
something like a "no rescue kit" logo would work.

Erik