cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 18:31:15 +0000

Terry wrote:

Well, I prefer for there to be a distinction, because it matters to some
people.

How about:
Violet: BSD Style licences
Indigo: GNU GPL style licences
Blue: Public Domain
Green: CC
Yellow CC-NC
Orange CC-ND
Red: All Rights Reserved
Black: Your rights removed. Use Red for lettering & glyphs.
[Infrared would be the more suitable colour, but most humans can not
see light in the infrared spectrum. Hence black. ]

"Eye" -- this EULA requires you to give up privacy rights

+1

"1" -- single CPU limitations and other things that prevent you from

I like the concept.
I'm not sure people will understand what the "1" represents.
Would the Chinese glyph for "1" work any better here? ㈠
[I couldn't find the correct glyph. This one depicts "Enclosed numeral one"".
On second thoughts, Westerners might view that as a fence, as such, it
would be "appropriate".]]

"padlock" -- DRM'd material, 'no reverse-engineering' clause

+1

"no mouth" -- restricts freedom of speech: you agree not to publish

This glyph needs more work.
The Chinese glyph doesn't work here. 嘴

(all four are in somebody's EULA -- I'm sure there's half-dozen more that
people have seen)

Offhand, I can think of several others, which make those seem
positively benign, and supportive of end-user-rights.

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.