cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jonathon Blake" <jonathon.blake AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 22:08:21 +0000

Terry wrote:

> Offhand, I can think of several others, which make those seem
> positively benign, and supportive of end-user-rights.

A list would be good.

From software EULAs

We own the rights to all data created with this program. [Actual text.]

Data produced by this program may not be distributed to third parties.
[Paraphrased text]

Program must call home, every time it is used. [Paraphrased text.]

Program Licensor may reformat your hard drive, at its discretion. [I
don't remember if that was the actual text, paraphrased text, or
simply the actual action taken by the licensor. (Adding insult, to
injury, pursuing legal action against the licensor results in the
licensee paying damages to the licensor!)]

From Music CD

Root kit required to run this CD. [Not explicitly stated. Covered
under a clause permitting them to install software to _improve_ your
listening experience.]

OTOH -- how useful is this? Someone did post asking about EULA labeling
graphics (though I can't find the post). I was only half-serious about doing
this one -- so I'm not sure I want to spend a lot of time on it (but if
there's demand, I'm willing to).

Whilst I doubt organizations that included such clauses will use them,
they could be useful for people/places that rank things according to
how obnoxious the licence is.

xan

jonathon
--