cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Color Coding Badges (Drawing)
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:09:05 +0100

Quoting Greg London <email AT greglondon.com>:

http://x.narya.net/static/terry/cc_colors.png
http://x.narya.net/static/terry/cc_colors.svg

4) The colors are the scheme I originally proposed, of course.

Those are very cool.

That copyleft is on the far left and
public domain is in the middle is
a bit of an issue for me.

From a legal rights point of view,
a spectrum would have
public domain at zero,
copyleft at 1 and
copyright at 2.

Ordering the licenses depends how one defines "freedom". You keep more creative
rights over time with copyleft than you give away economic rights with pd or
pd-figleaf licenses (like BSD), for example.

Possibly since PD, BSD (or BY, attribution aside) and copyleft are all FSF-Free
and DFSG-Free we could avoid a meltdown by agreeing that all three are "free
enough". NC and ND would be "less free", and ARR would be "fair use only". Or
something.

- Rob.