cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "LinuxLala" <linuxlala AT gmail.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:58:40 -0500 (EST)

LinuxLala said:
> My question - if I can change the license of my work after some time
> of using another license, then can I not get my work out of Public
> Domain and re-release it under some license?

Since I think I have a handle on this PDD thingy, lemme try an answer.

No, you would not be able to "get your work out of Public Domain".

You (or anyone else) could take the work and put "All Rights Reserved"
on it (and therefore re-release it under some other license).

But if anyone has a copy of the work with the Public Domain Dedication
on it, and they post it on their website, you can't force them to take
it down.

That's pretty much the way all licenses work.
Once you give up the rights to the work,
and someone gets a copy of the work,
then you can't tell them
"No, wait, I didn't mean that".

When you do the PDD with CC,
the point of the back and forth with them
is to prevent something like this from happening.