cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gottfried Hofmann <toddd AT mypse.goracer.de>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:00:59 +0100

No, you would not be able to "get your work out of Public Domain".

You (or anyone else) could take the work and put "All Rights Reserved"
on it (and therefore re-release it under some other license).

Are you sure about this? I seem to recall reading something in the last week that would disagree. I think they were talking about the need to have some (significant?) amount of input or change befoure you could claim a copyright in a PD work.

Do you need to claim copyright in order to relicense something in the Public Domain?
Of course you cannot claim that you wrote Shakespear, but can't you print and sell a Book of Shakespear and mark it "All Rights Reserved"?