cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:09:33 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 12:37 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > I have often kicked around the idea of someone running a server where you
> > submit, say, an MD5 hash and they record it in a database along with a
> > timestamp and a pgp type sig and also wend you back the hash, timestamp
> > signed for your records.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> It's a good idea. I like it.

Thanks, good to know I get some once in a while. [At least that someone
thinks
some are OK! ~;-) ]

> For it to work, you should pick something
> better than MD5. I'd probably recommend HMAC based on SHA-1. But that's an
> implementation detail, we can talk about this later.

Sure. I am not up on the technical details by any means.

> But yes, it looks like a good idea. The benefit of this idea would be
> proportional to the ammount of trust one has on the server. That is, the
> owner of the server can always falsify this. But if the server is
> trustworthy, this could be good to have.

Different, independent, governments and other entities could run the same
software. You could send in your hash and get it back timestamped and signed
by several of them.

This way, you can verify a date at which you were in posession of a document
you claim as your own.

I can see other uses as well. Say, in the digital medical records field.