cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:32:07 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 11:07 am, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Greg London wrote:
> > I can't seem to find anything on the CC website to
> > explain why the Public Domain dedication (PDD) requires
> > you to give CC your email address etc to get the license.
> >
> > Is PDD not like a license that you put on your work?
>
> PD is not a license. It means that you give up all rights to the work
> until the end of time. My understanding is that the registration is so
> that there is a record that the work is public domain, and that there be a
> date attached to that record. So, if someone later were to claim ownership
> over the work, there would be evidence, with a datestamp, that this work
> is public domain.

I have often kicked around the idea of someone running a server where you
submit, say, an MD5 hash and they record it in a database along with a
timestamp and a pgp type sig and also wend you back the hash, timestamp
signed for your records.

Thoughts?

> > Do you assign copyright over to CC or something?
>
> Nope. PD means you give up copyright.
>
> > Or does CC put the extra stuff in the way just to make sure
> > someone doesn't use PDD without knowing what the heck
> > it is they are about to do?
>
> Well, that's probably a fortunate consequence. You should definitely
> understand what PD is before you release work under it. PD means that you
> no longer claim any rights, or any form of ownership over the work. It
> becomes free as the air.

In light of the moral rights thread going on now, I take it it would not be
free as air in countries that have the moral rights in their copyright laws.