cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: toddd AT mypse.goracer.de, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:34:39 -0500

On Friday 25 March 2005 08:00 pm, Gottfried Hofmann wrote:
> >>No, you would not be able to "get your work out of Public Domain".
> >>
> >>You (or anyone else) could take the work and put "All Rights Reserved"
> >>on it (and therefore re-release it under some other license).
> >
> > Are you sure about this? I seem to recall reading something in the last
> > week that would disagree. I think they were talking about the need to
> > have some (significant?) amount of input or change befoure you could
> > claim a copyright in a PD work.
>
> Do you need to claim copyright in order to relicense something in the
> Public Domain?

Don't you mean to ask something like:

Do you need to claim authorship in order to relicense and claim copyright to
something in the public domain?

> Of course you cannot claim that you wrote Shakespear, but can't you
> print and sell a Book of Shakespear and mark it "All Rights Reserved"?

People seem to do things like this all the time. Still:

>> I think they were talking about the need to
> > have some (significant?) amount of input or change before you could
> > claim a copyright in a PD work.

So, perhaps they are claiming copyright in the layout, typography, selection
of works and order of works chosen. Illustrations? I don't know. But I do
remember reading something like I said recently. I don't know if it is
correct, and if it is if it applies everywhere.