cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:33:27 -0500 (EST)

Daniel Carrera said:
> PD is not a license. It means that you give up all rights to the work
> until the end of time.

I swear I read somewhere that you cannot NOT get the rights to your work
since copyright is automatic.

So, if you write something, copyright is automatically assigned to you,
and that the only way to give them up was to license them away.

Not that I should believe everything I read...

> May I ask, what is the work in question?
> Maybe I can offer an opinion on which is better.

Well, it's either be a complete piece of crap that no one will read,
or it will be something that puts IP law into a historical perspective
the makes it plainly obvious to the average citizen just how out of
whack things have gotten and causes a complete reform of IP law in the US.

I haven't quite figured out which it is...

;/