cc-licenses - Re: Public Domain dedication

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Public Domain dedication
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:37:33 -0500 (EST)

Mike Linksvayer said:
> Greg London wrote:
> > Or does CC put the extra stuff in the way just to make sure
> > someone doesn't use PDD without knowing what the heck
> > it is they are about to do?
>
> Tha's basically it. We only use the email address provided to send a
> confirmation email and don't store it.
>
> I wish we didn't have to go through multiple confirmations in the PD
> dedication process. Affixing a PD icon/notice to your work is already
> an overt act. But PD scares some people.

So, I really don't need to send my email address and do the back and forth?
I could just post the PD dedication on the work?
The back and forth stuff doesn't have any legal effect?
It's just a "you are about to take an irrevocable step" notice?

I wasn't sure if at some point of the back and forth I would have to
send you a copy fo the work and CC would do something extra funky
with it. Exorcise the spirits of copyright that possess it or something...

Not that I wouldn't mind sending it if it's going to be PD anyway,
but I wasn't sure how long it would be in the Exorcise shop if there is one.