cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo AT voicenet.com>
  • To: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19 <cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:09:46 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Chris Burkhardt <chris AT mretc.net> wrote:

> > So do the public domain works.
>
> Really? If I make a derivative of a public domain work, I can reserve
> all copyrights of that work. With a "copyleft" work, however, I must
> allow people to make derivatives of my derivative. That is the whole
> reason to use the GNU GPL or a Creative Commons ShareAlike license
> instead of just placing everything in the public domain; they ensure
> that works stay open.

You are all correct on this. I was terse because I thought that it
was a bit off-topic.

With a derivative of a public domain work, you have two choices:
1) Maintain your copyright in the new expressions in the derivative
and decide whatever you want to do with it, even put the new
expressions under GNU GPL. 2) Dedicate the new expressions in the
derivative to the public domain.

If you don't decline GNU GPL as per paragraph #5, you are not
allowed to do second choice above. Your first choice is restricted
to activities as allowed in the license.

In a way, public domain is compatible to GNU GPL but not the
other way. The public domain helps the commons to grow but
does not guarantee that any offspring of the public domain
will be always public domain - that is up to the copyright
law and people's choice.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo AT voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.