cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo AT voicenet.com>
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:11:30 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 jippolito AT guggenheim.org wrote:

> > They just maintain
> > the status quo.
>
> I don't agree with this. In some ways it may be more important to change
> the practices of creative people than to change the juridical decisions
> of a few guys with robes sitting in courtrooms.

The same legal system allows people to set up the open licenses.
The open licenses have no effect on the status quo in the legal
system. Moreover, the open licenses strongly depend on the legal
system for their existence. Without the legal system, the open
licenses will be unenforceable.

That is different from the activities that people do. Although
tax law allows people to deduct donations on tax form, some people
choose not to do that. Their choice has no affect on the tax law.

In order to change the current legal system, people have to get
involved in political activities. It is possible that the
open licenses have helped people become more educated about
the copyright issues but it is only their choice, not open
licenses, that will have true effect on the legal system.

> Are you sure about that? The world of software development has
> undergone a dramatic change as a consequence of the adoption and
> refinement of open licenses. What programmers learned in this process
> can be summed up in the contrasting license terms that appear at the
> bottom of your message:

The effect of the open culture as seen in the software environment
has not spilled over to other parts of the society. It will take
time for this to occur, if it ever occurs.

> Putting your expressions in the public domain does not prevent a
> corporation from repackaging them in a trademarked floorwax jingle or
> catchphrase used in SUV commercials. ...

I am well aware of the possible misuses of my public domain expressions.
I am not going to sweat over these remote possibilities. Also, I am not
any different from people who decided not to copyright (that is a verb
in active voice) their expressions before March 1, 1989.

> .... A Creative Commons
> NonCommercial-ShareAlike license, however, exploits the open code
> technique of copyleft, granting reuse rights only to those who share
> your commitment to open culture.

So do the public domain works.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo AT voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.