cc-eyebeam - [cc-eyebeam] Re: Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: blogdiva AT culturekitchen.com
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-eyebeam] Re: Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:06:13 -0500 (EST)

Joline Blais wrote:
> Will these innovations suffice to ensure a
creative commons for current and emerging
culture?

It is a start but it assumes that artists are
the only ones producing culture.

Most people publishing blogs have open
licenses with Creative Commons because
software like MovableType have the license
making process embedded in the system. Not
just for convenienence but because it was a
deliberate move from the part of the software
company that creates it.

Then there is the phenomenon of instant
syndication of blogs through RSS /RDF/ XML
feeds that is also a feature of many blogging
systems. Granted, as I was discussing just
now with Mark Napier, that a net art site
like

<A Href="http://potatoland.org/"; target="_blank">http://potatoland.org/</A>

should not be a blog but the fact that it is
not availed of the technologies available
that make blogs the open and social nodes
that they are, almost by default it makes the
site a closed system. So socially the site is
closed eventhough aesthetically most if not
all of Mark Napier's works is about
distributed creativity.

This is what I mean by the different social &
cultural practices on the web that net
artists can have vis-a-vis bloggers.

Best,
Liza Sabater