cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Neeru Paharia <neeru AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: <cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:43:27 -0800

Title: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
> Will these innovations suffice to ensure a
> creative commons for current and emerging
> culture?

We sure hope so!  On behalf of Creative Commons, welcome to the list. We hope this week’s discussion will expose ideas and issues that we can act on in the future.

If you don't know much about Creative Commons, please check out http://creativecommons.org/learn, where you can access a 5-minute Flash, and a few web comics that discuss our mission and model.

The current state of copyright provides challenges to innovation for the following reasons:

*Works are naturally copyrighted by default.  The moment you draw a picture, or write a melody, it’s protected whether you want it or not.
*Copyright is actually a bundle of rights that you may not all want (display, distribute, copy, perform, make derivates, commercial gain, etc.)
*There is no easy way to give up some, or all of these rights.  Even the US Copyright Office can’t help you.
*Current online display, and distribution of content often leaves the terms-of-use vague.  If I put my original song on my website for the world to download, would anyone really know without-a-doubt how they could use it? Could they pass it to their friends, make copies, or sync it to a movie? It’s unclear.

Creative Commons aims to solve these problems. Our licenses allow licensors to give away specific rights, and our 3-layered model of human-readable, lawyer-readable, and machine-readable, clarifies the terms-of-use so that regular people, lawyers, and computers can understand how a work can be used.

Our broader goal is to enable others to keep ideas free — it’s based on the idea that new ideas and innovations are built from old ones.  What would the world of music be like if someone copyrighted the 12-bar blues? We hope that our license tools will enable the world to build a huge pool of content they can draw from in return.    We also hope our tools will facilitate collaboration amongst people who don’t necessarily even know each other.

We are not writing legislation, or changing the law.  We are using contract law to build a reasonable layer of copyright.  As more and more people adopt Creative Commons, or other open licenses, we hope it will send a strong message to our governing bodies that the public wants an alternative, a world where we can say “some rights reserved” as opposed to “all rights reserved.”

So I’d like to bring it back to Joline’s original questions: “Will these innovations suffice to ensure a creative commons for current and emerging culture?”

I’m throwing it back to the list.  Does our model work? How can it be improved? What are the challenges for adoption?  What are some other innovative ways we can promote sharing and re-use on the Internet? How can we communicate our message more clearly?  Who needs to hear it?

Looking forward to your ideas.

Neeru

--
Neeru Paharia