cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: jippolito AT guggenheim.org
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:47:26 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for this provocative post, Joseph.

Joseph Pietro Riolo wrote:
> As an example, the open licenses do not change
> the legal system at all.

I agree with this.

They just maintain
> the status quo.

I don't agree with this. In some ways it may be more important to change the
practices of creative people than to change the juridical decisions of a few
guys with robes sitting in courtrooms.

> The fundamental ideas behind the legal system
> need to be changed. Although the innovations
> you mentioned are not sufficient, they could
> be a catalyst for the change in the legal system.

I think you're right about this. In the long term, open licenses are just not
beefy enough to hold back the growing tide of summons from record industry
lawyers and copyright-sniffing computer chips. I think we need a Digital
Sanctuary--but more about that later.

> (The culture you mentioned has not made a dent
> in our society yet.)

Are you sure about that? The world of software development has undergone a
dramatic change as a consequence of the adoption and refinement of open
licenses. What programmers learned in this process can be summed up in the
contrasting license terms that appear at the bottom of your message:

> Joseph Pietro Riolo
> Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
> post in the public domain.
<...>
>Submissions are licensed
> under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike
> license

Putting your expressions in the public domain does not prevent a corporation
from repackaging them in a trademarked floorwax jingle or catchphrase used in
SUV commercials. A Creative
Commons NonCommercial-ShareAlike license, however, exploits the open code
technique of copyleft, granting reuse rights only to those who share your
commitment to open culture.

Cheers,

jon