cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo AT voicenet.com>
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] more from Creative Commons
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:47:12 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 cz AT zanni.org wrote:

> AltarBoy, my sculpture-server, is my attempt to merge Property and Sharing,
> preserving the concept of authorship, that is still a keyrole issue also
> in networked works.
> Here is a link, <A Href="http://www.zanni.org"; target="_blank">
> http://www.zanni.org</A> if you want to take a look. I'll write more
> about it in week2.

I checked it and I found your concept of networked art very, very,
very fascinating!!!

As long as you see art as property regardless of whether you share it
with others, it is easy to maintain authorship.

I was entertaining the concept of art as a process as explained by the
original poster. In the U.S., ideas as well as the public domain works
cannot be owned by individuals and entities and therefore, they are not
property. That is a big difference between them and art that has
property status. Without doubt, the former makes its creativity very
easy to distribute - there is no need to read terms and conditions in
licenses. Then, I suggest that it will be very difficult for artists
to adopt the concept of art as a process (instead of property) because
it will change the meaning of authorship.

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo AT voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.