cc-eyebeam - Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: Joseph Pietro Riolo <riolo AT voicenet.com>
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-eyebeam] Welcome to Distributed Creativity
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:13:18 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 Joline Blais <Joline_Blais AT umit.maine.edu> wrote:

> Welcome to Distributed Creativity, a critical=20
> online forum co-organized by Still Water at=20
> UMaine and Eyebeam.

Thanks for the welcome. :-)

> ... but in the meantime, I'd like to
> get the conversation going with this opening:
>
> In a media landscape increasingly dominated
> by corporate monopolies,
> some netizens have abandoned hope that the
> legal system will support
> the commons of ideas and culture that gave
> rise to the early Internet.
>
> Instead they propose a distributed approach
> to legal innovation: open
> licenses, tools for community activism, and
> consciousness-raising exhibitions.
>
> Will these innovations suffice to ensure a
> creative commons for current and emerging
> culture?

The answer is definitely no. One reason is the
innovations are still subject to the same legal
system that make the corporate monoplies possible.
It is like trying to follow devil's rules to be
a good person.

As an example, the open licenses do not change
the legal system at all. They just maintain
the status quo. If the copyright term is
extended, the term of open licenses is extended
as well.

The fundamental ideas behind the legal system
need to be changed. Although the innovations
you mentioned are not sufficient, they could
be a catalyst for the change in the legal system.
Whether this will be possible remains to be seen.
(The culture you mentioned has not made a dent
in our society yet.)

Joseph Pietro Riolo
<riolo AT voicenet.com>

Public domain notice: I put all of my expressions in this
post in the public domain.