cc-eyebeam - [cc-eyebeam] Hola Amigos

cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons-Eyebeam Forum 2003 November 12-19

  • From: blogdiva AT culturekitchen.com
  • To: cc-eyebeam AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-eyebeam] Hola Amigos
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:11:33 -0500 (EST)

Liza Sabater reporting here.

As I delve deeper into the entrails of the
blogosphere I come with more questions than
answers on the subject of distributed
creativity.

For one, I am fascinated with the fact that
eventhough the net art and blogging
communities seem to share the same values,
in their technological practices they seem to
be eons apart. I am thinking of how net
Artists in general are still creating
online communities, salons and studios à la
1996. Net Art websites mostly function as
closed systems with no syndication, no
trackback and decontextualized comments
(usually through forums or mailing lists that
are separate from the site's content).

On the other hand, the blogging community
with its myriad of content management
programs, their focus on standards and
emphasis on syndication seem to be realizing
the creative revolution of the rhizome. They
are doing so by creating community, context
and nodality through syndication, trackbacks
and the mini-forums that post comments offer.

So I am actually quite excited at the
prospect of having these two groups come
together in conversation and see how they can
(to echo one of Joline's favorite words)
cross-pollinate. I am particularly interested
in seeing how this could happen with regards
to discussions around each culture's
technological practices.

Cheers!