cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Chris Lott" <chris.lott AT gmail.com>, "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:30:46 -0400 (EDT)

Chris Lott said:
> Now I'm confused about this. I've basically written textbooks for some
> of my own classes. I am fine with noncommercial uses of the work, and
> I generally consider another instructor using the materials for their
> classes to be non-commercial (but I can see how it could be classed
> otherwise if the institution is for-profit). But I would be extremely
> incensed if a training provider selling CBT, or a for-profit
> institution like the University of Phoenix-- which are clearly
> commercial enterprises-- were to pick up and use my materials to make
> money.

So, I know below you say "why is tangental", but that's where I'm stuck.
Why don't you want the University of Phoenix selling the work?
Do you want commercial users to come to you and ask permission so
you can control who uses it and who doesn't? Do you want to retain
the right to make money? Do you intend to sell the commercial rights?
Or do you wish to control who uses it commercially?

> That's case #1.
>
> But I also see a problem in the sense that if-- for instance-- our
> university bookstore prints and binds my material to disburse to
> students, then even if they sell the material at cost, isn't this a
> commercial activity by definition?

My understanding is that it is commercial use.
Maybe someone from CC can chime in and clarify.

> That's case #2.
>
> I think the reasons WHY faculty and instructors wish not to have their
> material used for commercial purposes is tangential and not likely to
> help settle matters.

Well, the "why" does help detemine if the license is a good fit
for what someone wants to do. and what they want to do is behind
the "why?" question.