cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Heather Ford" <heather AT gn.apc.org>
  • To: "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:33:26 +0200

What a wonderful reunion! So glad that this is back on track :)
And now that I've been in contact with a number of educational institutions, I think I have much more valuable feedback :)

I want to echo what Zachery has said. The main sticking point amongst different educators is *not* the non-commercial vs commercial aspect but rather whether to allow *derivatives* or not. I've had numerous debates with different organisations about this. The portal www.thutong.org.za wants to allow its authors to choose whether they want to allow derivatives or not; while http://link.wits.ac.za wants to prevent derivatives but to allow translations and adaptation for use by sensory disabled persons. www.tsf.org.za wants to use the by-NC-SA for all its grantees.

Speaking to lawyers involved in cc here, it looks as though you could use the no-derivatives licence but add a proviso to allow translations and adaptation for use by sensory disabled persons. Which you might want to do if you decide to have 2 options i.e. CC-EDU or CC-EDU PLUS+ as they've done with the cc sampling licenses.

That said, people can always choose another licence if they don't want to go with the By-NC-SA license as cc-EDU, so I'm happy with whatever decision cc takes on this :)

I also wanted to take the opportunity to invite you all to a conference where we'll be discussing some of these issues - 'Commons-sense: Towards an African Digital Information Commons' takes place in Johannesburg from 25-27 May (see www.commons-sense.org). There are scholarships available if you'd like to apply.

Best wishes,

Heather.

Heather Ford
LINK Centre Associate
Phone: +27 11 717 3914
Cell: +27 82 872 7374

'Commons-sense: Towards an African Digital Commons'
www.commons-sense.org
May 25-27, Johannesburg

Creative Commons South Africa
http://za.creativecommons.org