cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Matthew Haughey <matt AT haughey.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 20:44:54 -0800

On Apr 2, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Greg London wrote:
Students pay tuition to the school,
the school pays the instructor a salary. That may qualify for
commercial use.

That seems like a pretty far stretch of the term "commercial." Almost comically so.

Especially if the "school" is a one person
corporation with the instructor being the sole shareholder.

Example? Are you trying to describe something at the edge of commercial training/degree services and education, like the University of Phoenix or something?

If you wanted to rebrand CC-BY-SA as the "Education" license
then I'm all for it.

But I wouldn't agree with the NonCommercial restriction
or the confusion it would create.

Let's consider a popular adopter of a hypothetical license as an instructor sharing lesson plans in the form of lectures and lecture material. Instructors are very sensitive about commercial exploitation of their academic work. They don't want commercial services selling their notes or packaging 1000 lecture powerpoints onto a CD and charging people for it. I know professors that disallow paid note takers in their class, since they don't agree with the the practice of someone selling notes for their course.

You've stretched the idea of commercial so far it barely makes sense, then you conclude that everything must allow commercial use to prevent future confusion. I don't know of any professors that would want their lectures bound by someone else and sold for profit, and so they'd definitely want the NC protection.

Matt