cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:12:12 -0900

On Apr 4, 2005 1:13 PM, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:

> The proposal was to "rebrand" CC-BY-SA-NC as the "Education" license.
> And all I've said is that if you 'rebrand' an existing license,
> then SA-NC doesn't allow most educaitonal uses.

And I'm:

a) supporting the contention that NC *should* be interpreted to
restrict educational use by institutions charging tuition to access
the materials, and thus

b) implicitly supporting a separate educational license rather than a
re-branding if the desire is to share with educational instititutions

c) Further, if I had my way, an Educational license would either
include only public institutions or somehow have the ability to
distinguish between the University of North Carolina and the DMX Zone
CBT provider or the University of California and University of Phoenix
(to pick just a few, none of which I have any animosity against, but
who are engaged in endeavours about which I feel differently when it
comes to my materials). It's not about good and bad, it's about
for-profit or not.

That being said, an ed license doesn't have to take care of "Case C"--
I would just continue to use the NC license and make clear that others
were welcome to ask (and I would be easy about giving) rights to use
the work.

> No one has mentioned an education-specific license until now.
> Everyone has been talking about "rebranding" SA-NC to "education".
> But if you want to draft a wholly separate license that somehow
> discerns between "good" educational groups like universities
> and "bad" educational groups like U of Phoenix, then that
> opens a whole other can of worms. You'll have to deal with
> a subjective definition of who is "good", and you'll end up
> with a CC license that will be incompatible with any other
> CC license.

As I said-- the main point would be to adhere to the NC clause
properly, by excluding educational institutions (beyond the bounds of
fair use, of course) with that license and having a second Ed license
that specifically granted rights to those institutions, "good" or
"bad"

> Those are your options. It has nothing to do with "my way".

I was referring to your discussion about the philosophy of sharing
work and the "fear" that may or may not come with it.

> The only thing that I've pushed that is my personal opinion
> is that I don't think BY-SA-NC deserves the name "education"
> because of how restrictive it is.

In this we agree.

Chris Lott