cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 03:36:08 -0400 (EDT)

Matthew Haughey said:
> I don't know of any professors that would want their
> lectures bound by someone else and sold for profit, and so they'd
> definitely want the NC protection.

You still haven't said why this is so.
Do they want a cut of the action?
or do they think money spoils it?
Or do they want to slow down the
distribution of their ideas?

A few weeks ago, I proposed the idea of
CC-BY-NC-SA being "rebranded" as the "Fan Club"
license. It allows a musician to let their
fans have a fan club, exchange music noncommercially,
share music mixes, and do all the things that
fans generally do. And the musician keeps
the commercial rights so they can sell the work.
Oh, and Attribution keeps the musician's name
associated with all the works, so the fans
know who it is.

Anyway, that's a perfect fit for what CC-BY-NC-SA does.
What you're talking about is a "Professor Fan Club",
not an "Education" license. Because "education" includes
tutors getting paid to teach students, instructors
selling course materials, and all sorts of
other commercial uses.

I don't have a problem with you wanting it to be
NonCommercial. I have a problem with you using the
label "Education", when what you're talking about is
a small subset of what "education" means to people.