cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 07:54:50 -0900

Now I'm confused about this. I've basically written textbooks for some
of my own classes. I am fine with noncommercial uses of the work, and
I generally consider another instructor using the materials for their
classes to be non-commercial (but I can see how it could be classed
otherwise if the institution is for-profit). But I would be extremely
incensed if a training provider selling CBT, or a for-profit
institution like the University of Phoenix-- which are clearly
commercial enterprises-- were to pick up and use my materials to make
money.

That's case #1.

But I also see a problem in the sense that if-- for instance-- our
university bookstore prints and binds my material to disburse to
students, then even if they sell the material at cost, isn't this a
commercial activity by definition?

That's case #2.

I think the reasons WHY faculty and instructors wish not to have their
material used for commercial purposes is tangential and not likely to
help settle matters.

Chris Lott