cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons" <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:36:41 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen Downes said:
> It is true that the definition of 'educational' is fuzzy, but because
> this proposal is the By-NC-SA license rebranded as 'educational' we
> need not worry about whether a use counts as 'educational' or not.

You want to call it "educational" but you don't have to worry
about whether it covers "educational" uses or not?

This is like people calling their stuff "freeware"
when the only thing free about it is the price.

Uses that would be allowed by CC-BY-NC-SA is only a small
subset of what fits the natural definition of educational.

Find a different word that actually fits the allowed
set of uses and I'd be fine with it. "University" or
"PHD Paper" or something. Call it something that actually
fits what it allows, and I'd be happy.

But calling it "Education" when it isn't is like calling
software "Freeware" when it isn't free.

And there were plenty of people putting out "freeware"
who could argue "we call it free, therefore it's free".
Just because you have a bunch of people who want to call
it "education" doesn't mean its education.

I'd rather you simply continue using CC-BY-SA-NC
rather than call it "Education" when it isn't.