cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: Chris Lott <chris.lott AT gmail.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:07:46 -0800

> We understand the distinction between the University of North Carolina
> and the DMX Zone CBT provider, between the University of California and
> the University of Phoenix, and it is sophistry to pretend that we do
> not. And this distinction is drawn precisely by the 'non-commercial'
> attribute, and none other.

If by "we" you mean the CC, then someone needs to lay down precisely
how to tell the difference in an objective way. Univ. of Phoenix is an
accredited institution that charges tuition-- it's not particularly
different in that way from most private universities where the NC
restriction apparently doesn't apply.

So what IS the difference, *precisely*, besides the fact that one or
the other of us believes one to be commercial and one not? Does it
have to do with base funding, tax status, what? How can John Doe on
the street figure out if an NC commercial restriction applies to
organization X?

I'm glad the distinction is so clear to you-- please help make it
clear for everyone else.

Chris Lott