cc-education - Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT gmail.com>
  • To: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons <cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 17:31:45 -0700

On Apr 2, 2005 11:28 AM, Greg London <email AT greglondon.com> wrote:

> By education, you mean professors sitting around writing papers?
> Or do you mean people who go out and teach for a living?
> The difference is whether or not "NonCommercial" fits
> your definition of "education".

The current community of practice around educational uses of the
BY-NC-SA license (MIT OCW, USU OCW, Johns Hopkins OCW, etc.) strongly
encourages teachers to reuse the OCW materials in their courses (I can
say this very confidently, having just sat around a table with them
for another few days). Noncommercial use means things like selling
printed copies of the licensed works for profit. Use by teachers in
classrooms, by students, and by people with no institutional
affiliation is strongly encouraged. Of course noncommercial doesn't
only mean teaching and learning; many types of research are covered by
the definition as well.

In many ways we're better off having waited to engage in this
conversation again, as there is now a significant amount of
educational material the BY-NC-SA has been applied to, and some common
practice has already emerged among the licensors. I think it would be
a great way to begin marketing the Education License to have these
very visible programs begin promoting it for us (switch from listing
BY-NC-SA on their pages to listing the Education License).