cc-education - [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu

cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: development of an education license or license option for Creative Commons

  • From: David Wiley <david.wiley AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-education AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-education] A new hope for cc.edu
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:03:14 -0700

Back in August of 2003 I proposed that rather than create a new
education license, <a
href="https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/2003-August/000058.html";>we
rebrand the By-NC-SA license as the cc.edu</a>. The idea had lots of
traction on the list - <a
href="https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/2003-October/000075.html";>Stephen
even agreed eventually</a> ;) - as did many others (see <a
href="https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-education/";>August -
December 2003 posts</a>). However, because of some push back from CC
about rebranding as a strategy, the discussion moved another
direction and to the frustration of many eventually fizzled out.

The rebranding strategy has become increasingly common for CC (c .f.
the new wiki license beta), and rebranding is now an option for us. I
therefore propose we rebrand the By-NC-SA as the Creative Commons
Education License, and create a special commons deed for anyone using
the license (i.e., add some contextual language to the human readable
part of the license - e.g., the way the new <a
href="http://creativecommons.org/drafts/wiki_0.5";>wiki license
beta</a> has been handled).

Thoughts?