baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 02:07:15 +0000 (UTC)

The puppy linux 2007 mplayer which came as a puppy package crashes when I try to use it offline on the PII Thinkpad 770E which is i586.

The mplayer 0.93 i586 which I compiled works if I also copy over libtermcap.so.2. (I did not test online yet).

There is nothing in /root/.mplayer/config file. Puppy uses alsa sound so that may be the default since it works.

I had already installed the puppy mplayer package here, which has scads of dependencies and crashed just like all my BL2 mplayers had been doing.
My no-video mplayer only requires the common libraries in /lib (libnsl and linuxgate) and libtermcap (I could probably compile for even fewer libraries if I knew what else to disable when I configure).

Pulp linux seems to have an i586 version of mplayer. The author intended it for old slow low-ram computers. It might play DVDs on here (at 266Mhz?).

I don't know why the mplayer default is to compile for i486 motherboards with i686 cpus. The i586 binary is slightly larger than i686 and works on both. Might work slower than i686 on newer computers.

Now I have three linuxes to use for internet radio with i586.

Sindi Keesan