baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 07:11:03 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 13:12:39 +0000 (UTC)
baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> > There is a python-based script (was youtube-dl, now renamed to something
> > else) for downloading flv files, which mencoder can convert to avi,
> > playable
> > by mplayer. I did not try it. You can also download youtube videos as
> > higher quality mp4 at http://keepvid.com and extract the mp3 from the mp4.
> > Someone provided a wget script for downloading a flv directly.

This has become trivial in DOS, no flash or javascript involved.

There are two DOS applications that extract the URLs from a Youtube page.
One is mine (untube.exe), and a better one is called YTCrack. Neither is open
source, but I would be happy to assist someone clever who can program for
Linux (I can't).

It can even be done using a text editor on the Youtube page source, once
you know what you are looking for.

> It is complicated to extract the actual address,

Not too complicated. And there are typically three, sometimes more, URLs
to different resolutions - both for .flv and .mp4 video files.

> and then you will need something to convert to a format mplayer can
> handle. ffmpeg - have not tried to use with bl2.

More recent MPlayer builds play .flv amd .mp4. The DOS port from 2008
handles them perfectly well.

> Anything fast enough (600MHz is awfully jerky) and with enough memory to
> play flash video online will work with a more recent linux than
> basiclinux.

600 MHz is perfectly fine to play a downloaded .flv or .mp4.
The ability to play streaming vids depends more on the speed of your internet
connection.

Regards,
Ron

--