baslinux - [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 Internet Radio was mplayer, was Re: Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 17:14:10 +0000 (UTC)

After many years, victory!!!!

First I downloaded a few mplayer packages from
linuxpackages.net but they need gtk 2.

Mplayer 0.93 which I just compiled is now working
online on a PII non-MMX laptop
(and should work on AMD-K6-2 as well). Try my i586
version on anything under 600MHz that does not work
with other mplayers online and crashes due to bad
usage of CPU with comments about MMX.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/blfiles.htm
(or http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl has the files)
has links to two versions of mplayer 0.93 compiled
with runtime cpu detection for i686 and i586.
Very long file names to describe what they are.

The i586 version plays an mp3 URL (weku radio)
on my Thinkpad 770E with PI 266MHz non-MMX i586 cpu.
The i686 version just gives an error message.
Did not yet test on AMD cpu.

No support for any sort of video, or for ogg (I tried
once and could not manage it - most radio stations
offer a choice of other formats anyway).

I did not test it with asx, ram, wma, pls, etc.

This mplayer was compiled using gcc 2.95.3 but with
glibc 236. I will try to compile for 225 if requested.

download, gunzip, chmod +x, copy to /usr/local/bin.
You may need to first install mplayer4.tgz which
is David Moberg's uclibc later version that
also contains mencoder and various other files.
I don't know if they are needed to play audio.

You can try with just the following first (or specify
ao -oss every time you use mplayer)

/root/.mplayer/config
ao=oss

I also compiled 1.0pre7 which is the oldest version
that will work with mplayer plugin. I have been
able to use mplayer without the plugin in lynx and
links. See my lynx.cfg. I think I also got it to
work in Opera by editing preferences, programs.
Many radio sites now require javascript.

This mplayer without video is about 3MB stripped
(1MB gz) and uses 1.2 plus 1.0% of 228MB memory alone without any browser. 4MB max. Lynx uses
about 2MB.

With glibc236, pcmcia network driver, lynx, mplayer,
and dbclient (ssh) I am using 9MB memory plus
the kernel usage (another 3MB?). 12MB - should
work to make ANY pentium laptop into a radio if
you can get the sound and network working.

I did not compile for a 486 because I gave it away.

All my laptops have at least 24MB memory.
I got sound working in BL on all but two of them -
a Gateway 200MHz where I think the sound died,
and a Hitachi 133MHz. Including a TP 560X and a
Winbook where Puppy sound is still not working
(but the sound is crummy even with external speakers).

Internet radio in every room. I highly recommend
any thinkpad, and anything with JBL Pro or HK speakers.
I have

TP 560X (233MHz, 32Mb onboard, maxed out to 96MB,
800 res, won't play sound with pulp linux and too little RAM
for puppy online)

600E (400MHz, 288MB, 1024 res),

770E (266MHz, 228MB, 1024 res, DVD drive)

Presario 1200 (800x600 res, 32MB onboard
RAM but I could add up to 128)

Presario 1675 (64MB onboard, memory slot appears to be dead).

I also have a 166MHz HP Omnibook that was $3500 new
and has 64MB RAM (and Win98) and another 133Mhz/24MB.
A 166MHz DELL. Two 120MHz Compaqs (LTE with poor sound).
A 350MHz DELL (rebuilt by us) with good sound
(and a 300MHz with crummy sound).

All but three of these have sound at least as good as
any of our faster laptops. They should, at the $2500-
$3500 original prices for laptops over 10 years old.

Most of the URLS that I have collected for classical
radio no longer work but I posted some that usually do
even at dialup speeds at my site (see *dialup*).
Please add to this list. Actual URLs that test working
with mplayer and don't need javascript.

See previous in thread for info on compiling.

Sindi Keesan