baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:50:28 +0000 (UTC)

Someone provided a wget script for downloading a flv directly.

This has become trivial in DOS, no flash or javascript involved.

There are two DOS applications that extract the URLs from a Youtube page. One is mine (untube.exe), and a better one is called YTCrack. Neither is open source, but I would be happy to assist someone clever who can program for Linux (I can't).

DOS would be fine too - want to share your program?

It can even be done using a text editor on the Youtube page source, once
you know what you are looking for.

It is complicated to extract the actual address,

Not too complicated. And there are typically three, sometimes more, URLs to different resolutions - both for .flv and .mp4 video files.

The lowest resolution would be helpful, when available.

and then you will need something to convert to a format mplayer can
handle. ffmpeg - have not tried to use with bl2.

More recent MPlayer builds play .flv amd .mp4. The DOS port from 2008
handles them perfectly well.

I thought DOS could not playing streaming anything, just offline.
How new must mplayer be to play flv and mp4?

Today I was experimenting with mplayer on two more laptops. Various versions crash or have illegal instructions on two thinkpads (233 and 250MHz) and now also two Compaqs (AMD-K6-2 400 and 475MHz) in BL2 and also in Win98 (mplayer for Windows works in Win98). The most recent version (6.9 for Windows) still crashes in Win98 with the same open_stream error as in BL2. Have you tried the DOS version on a 400MHz or slower laptop? The uclibc versions complain about not handling the cpu (these last two are AMD-K6-2 and many other people had the same problem), and the glibc236 version has an illegal instruction.

My latest mplayer 1.0rc7 is dated 2009. Which version is DOS mplayer?

I would like these four nice sounding laptops, all with good speakers and hardware volume control, to play URLs that are pls or m3u etc not just mp3, and even ram and wma URLs. mpg321 supposedly does pls but refuses to work in BL2 with an error that other people often get, not finding some library that I added. mplayer won't work on my older computers. mpg123 won't do pls. Will DOS mplayer on older laptops?

Anything fast enough (600MHz is awfully jerky) and with enough memory to
play flash video online will work with a more recent linux than
basiclinux.

600 MHz is perfectly fine to play a downloaded .flv or .mp4.
The ability to play streaming vids depends more on the speed of your internet
connection.

We downloaded a youtube video then replayed and it was still jerky at 400MHz. In puppy linux. Cpu at 100%. 3MBps connection is more than adequate for faster cpus.

Mplayer works fine on 700MHz and 900MHz laptops online.

Nice to hear from you again. It must be autumn there.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke