baslinux - Re: [BL] free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 18:03:44 +0000 (UTC)

http://visualserver.org works with mutt by three different routes

You can edit .muttrc to use imaps to retrieve your mail from Maildir to /tmp (suggested by root there). Works but requires another login.
And change editor from default Joe
set editor="nano"

You can edit .forward to invoke procmail, and create .procmailrc and .muttrc which send mail to /Maildir and also look for it there (mbox_type is Maildir). (Procmail can also be used to sort mail into folders and to invoke spamassassin).

You can simply invoke procmail with .forward and it will send mail by default to /var/mail/user, where mutt looks for it by default.

The 'new mail' message arrives only if mail goes to /var/mail, but it takes a bit longer to process and is stored as one increasingly large file. Maildir has individual mails.

Ask me for details. This is so far the only free linux shell account I have found with spamassassin and mutt (kindly added by root). SDF and grex are BSD and one has no spamassassin and the other is not reliable.

Root has been very kind about adding things on request but I still have not managed to fix a font problem that causes elinks box characters to display as letters. Root also sent me a message that procmail was not where I was looking for it with .forward.

Console only accounts.

I know this is not totally relevant to BL, but a shell account is very useful if you use dialup internet - you can browse at 100K/sec and read mail without downloading it (and ignore large attachments), from various locations. Also you can try out various non-graphical programs there before installing and/or compiling for BL. Also maybe compile there if you can upgrade glibc to match on your computer. 3GHz computer, plenty of RAM, and few users at any one time.

Sindi Keesan