baslinux - [BL] free shell account with mutt and text browsers

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] free shell account with mutt and text browsers
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 15:07:39 +0000 (UTC)

For those with dialup accounts, who like to use text-only browsers (links2, elinks, lynx, w3m) and non-web online mail, I can now recommend not only http://sdf.lonestar.org (very stable but not much spam protection other than a greylist) but also

http://visualserver.org

Located probably some place in E. Europe (GMT +1, 30MBit line leased from Czech Republic). How can I determine which font they are using (they don't have showfont or setfont installed) so as to set mine to show box characters properly in elinks? Not cp866 8859-2 8859-5

Free accounts (donations appreciated) with lots of space (mail and/or web and/or shell account), a choice of three webmail programs (squirrel mail works with lynx) and the support person just installed mutt at my request (within a few hours) and figured out how to create a .muttrc to use it with imap (the mail lands in /Maildir where mutt cannot otherwise find it). No pine (yet, anyway).

They have an impressively large choice of spam blacklists, and spamassassin.

Exceptionally easy to sign up for an account. No need to receive SMS or donate with paypal or send a notarized photo ID.... Just explain why you want a shell account with them, from the signup page, and your account will appear within 2 days (or 1 hour in my case).

They use linux (Ubuntu, used to be CentOS). SDF and most other shell account providers I looked at use BSD.

They have the latest versions of the browsers and other programs that I will therefore not bother to compile since they can be used online.
wget, curl.... I could download a large file from slackware at about 100K/sec. Download packages there, unpack them, then use ftpget or wget or links to move just the parts you want to your computer.

I presume you can also compile or install locally other programs. They get some income from ads but you are encouraged to donate. Even without donating, you get more space than a paid account at SDF. In existence since 2007, with about 800 users now.

Sindi Keesan