baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on newer hardware

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on newer hardware
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:54:56 +0000 (UTC)

2. We were given to recycle a 2005 2.8GHz Intel desktop

i865 is said to boot from USB devices including floppy and flash drives.

USB boot
is enabled - can BL be booted (with loadlin) from a USB flash drive if we
format and sys it and put the files on it?

To boot from USB flash drive, formatted to FAT32, sys it (we did that by
booting to DOS with DOS USB storage drivers which are at my site, ending in .sys - see archives), plug it in, boot computer, F2 for setup, and having unplugged the USB floppy drive we now have a choice of booting from:

LTN.... (first of two CD-ROM drives, Lite-On)
Easy Disk (32MB USB flash drive labelled with a drug name)

Reverse this boot order, and it boots, to A: (!)

Loop linux won't boot easily with 2.4 kernel (read-only).

BL2 2-floppy booted from this USB flash drive, with PDA
kernel. I cannot, however, mount the flash drive after
booting with this kernel (same on a desktop booting to
ext2). mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device.
I did not test with larger kernel and modules.

The kernel has built-in USB (including scsi) drivers.

David Moberg's 1-floppy USB-storage BL boots from USB floppy and will
mount USB flash drives (unlike my PDA kernel). I need to figure out what he included that I did not.

This is the first (and only) computer we have which will boot
from USB flash drive. 2005. i865 and i875 are said to do so.

Our 2003 AOPEN lets you boot from USB-FDD (even without disabling onboard floppy controller) or USB-ZIP, but not USB storage (hard disk or flash drive). It also allows booting from any of four IDE hard disks.
Award BIOS.

Phoenix BIOS (Intel boards) has fewer options, but i865 and later at least allow USB storage boot.

Can you partition a USB flash drive to ext2?