baslinux - [BL] USB floppy boot was Re: BL on newer hardware

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB floppy boot was Re: BL on newer hardware
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:02:20 +0000 (UTC)

We were given to recycle a 2005 (i865) 2.8GHz Intel desktop t
... but the floppy controller seems to be dead and it
will read (with Puppy linux) but not boot from USB floppy drive.

F2 SETUP (Phoenix BIOS - not my favorite)

USB boot and legacy USB were already enabled. Boot order was set to Floppy 1 (no option for Floppy 2) and then CD-ROM (no option for the second CD-ROM drive either). (No hard disk installed yet so none listed - hopefully you can choose between HDD0 and HDD1).

Solution: F2 setup (Phoenix Bios), disable onboard floppy drive. USB floppy drive becomes Floppy 1 and it boots to DOS or with David Moberg's 1-floppy USB-capable linux. Presumably will also boot 2-floppy BL.