baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on newer hardware

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on newer hardware
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:47:25 GMT

BL3 with 2.2.26 kernel supports pcmcia wvlan (subset of orinoco) and
aero based non-cardbus wireless. I posted an untested 2.4.31 kernel
that might support cardbus (bzimlafb-cb.431). After you install BL
send me the URL and I will attempt to compile your module. Lots of
things will not compile with older glibc and gcc and kernel.
Check if the card works with 2.4 kernel first.

If you get BL working with ndiswrapper let us know the details.

Can you install BL to a hard disk ext2 partition? Do you have a way to
dual-boot
with Windows 7? I can do it with 2K or XP on FAT32, but you need to copy
the boot sector created by lilo (using dd) to the first partition, and
BL cannot access NTFS and vice versa. Copy via floppy drive if you have one,
pcmcia memory card adaptor, or a live CD with NTFS support (such as Puppy
Linux).

Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (live CD) works with all the pcmcia wireless
cards I have tested except RT8180 (older version 4.2.1 even worked with that).
But the module system is different (.ko not .o). Is there some recent
distro which still uses the .o modules, to borrow kernel/modules from?
Is your wireless card old enough to be supported by an older distro?

DSL linux worked with only one of 6 cardbus wireless cards (2.4 kernel).

You can buy an aero wireless card on ebay for about $5 plus shipping.
802.11b.