baslinux - [BL] no route with static ip (was: iwconfig stuck on channel 1)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] no route with static ip (was: iwconfig stuck on channel 1)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 05:37:23 -0800 (PST)

now this is really confusing ... i ran #udhcpc
and did end up getting onto the internet, but of
course it's with a DHCP ip address and not the
static address that i wanted.

but iwconfig _still_ shows the frequency as 2.412 GHz
(i.e., channel 1) and not the channel which my router
is actually using! so then maybe that's just a bug
in the output of iwconfig?

anyway, now i see that my big problem is that i am
not able to connect to the internet using a static
ip address. i don't know why, because i believe that
i have the DNS set up correctly.

my /etc/networks has: basicnet 192.168.2.0.
my router's ip is 192.168.2.1, which is what i use
for the gateway on all my other wireless computers
(which are all running SliTaz GNU/Linux),
so is my /etc/networks correct? or should it be:
basicnet 192.168.2.1 ...?

help would be appreciated, because i really don't
want to use dhcp with this wireless card.

i'm having exactly the same problem with my brand-new
64-bit Linux Mint 8 on my newest laptop -- it refuses
to access the internet when i use my static ip, but
gets on with no problem using DHCP.

-monz

--- On Sat, 1/30/10, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>