baslinux - Re: [BL] fifty meg. DOS loop file from AUSREG.com

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] fifty meg. DOS loop file from AUSREG.com
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:45:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

What happens when I try to install Opera is I run out of space. I can install all needed dependencies. I then download the Opera 8.54 tar.gz. Following the instructions I move it to /tmp. Then I run TAR -zxvf opera*.tar.gz. It runs until it gets to the main Opera binary. It then stops for several minutes and then the shell prompt comes back. As there are other things to install after that I figure I am having a space issue. This is why I am trying to expand the 20 meg file to 50. Maybe I can't use dd. Maybe I have to mount the 2 files as loop files and copy one over to the other.

Why can't you use the 50MB fs.img instead of the 20MB?

Uncompress opera on some other computer or partition, upx the opera binary, then copy over individual files. Opera itself is really too big
for 20MB, and the tar.gz file also takes up space.

Look at how much free space you have (df) before adding programs,
and at the size of the programs, and don't attempt the impossible.

Can you put another old hard disk into your computer and install BL to that instead of via QEMU? Many computers let you choose in setup which hard disk to boot from.