baslinux - Re: [BL] HP Pavilion N5415 works somewhat with BL35

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HP Pavilion N5415 works somewhat with BL35
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:50:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

BL3 tulip.o does not work with onboard Accton NIC (device or resource
busy). 2.4.31 kernel tulip module (with crc32) does work in BL2 ext2.
(Slitaz finds and loads the module, Puppy lacks the module).

It appears that kernel 2.2 is needed for the modem, not newer, and kernel
2.4 or later is needed to boot BL2 ext2 and to use the tulip onboard
ethernet. And none of these work with pcmcia or USB storage.

Don't know if OSS sound works, but ALSA does not. XP sound works.

Apart from lousy speakers and no mike input (built-in mike) works in XP
for piano tuner and DVD player. And for selected aspects of selected
linuxes. Most of our Compaq/HP laptops have been a challenge for use in
linux. If possible, stick with Toshiba, DELL, IBM, or even Gateway and
Hitachi (other than sound).

Presario and Prosignia are okay, LTE and Armada and Pavilion are the problems.

Sindi Keesan

BL is way ahead of Puppy, which cannot find sound card, ethernet (onboard), or the USB wireless card which worked in another computer with Puppy. PCI problem? XP cannot find pcmcia cards either so I experimented with USB wireless (can't find the XP driver yet) and a bridge.

BL2 ext2 with kernel 2.4.31 (and XP) can access a D-Link wireless bridge, which if I can figure out how, should let me use the onboard ethernet to connect to a wireless network. The gadget finds the library signal, and BL finds the gadget.