baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 auto startx and shutdown
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:14:50 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote:

"Restart" in the JWM stands for "refresh". It refreshes the JWM menu
settings.
Very useful when we make new settings.
Thank you. What settings do you mean?

But when JWM itself is modified we have to "exit" and do "startx" again.
I have done that a lot recently after editing the menu.

I created or moved items and sub items like:

Internet:
Connect (ppp-on)
Disconnect (ppp-off)

People might think they are connecting to broadband here.
Dial/hangup don't have the second meaning.

Games
xFreecell
xDigger
LinCity
Utilities
Clock
Calculator

And added a final item called "Exit Basic Linux" which is presently "halt"
but I think "shutdown -h now" would be the right thing.

What does halt do? (I don't want to check it right now and the --help result is most unhelpful).

I copied shutdown from BL2 and the above tells me something like.
'You can't do that. Go away'.
How can I change this to actually shut down?

I put as the top three things on the menu:

dial
hangup
reboot (and turn off computer when you see SONY)

With a lilo boot it will otherwise go back into linux.

And I changed JWM menu colors and placed a picture as a wallpaper.
Large images use to slow down the startup proccess, so one has to be careful
and use simpler pictures.

The user only wants to read Russian news in this case, not decorate.

I also replaced the most of links in hotlinks.html.
I added lots of Russian news sites, my site (in case she loses my phone number), and a guitar midi site. The Russian radio was mostly junk American stuff.

Now that page links to both Basic Linux sites and a lot of Brazilian ones. I
translated all the titles (captions) to Portuguese. All this stuff is quite
easy to be done.
Do you read Portugues with links and use the Portuguese menu? Have you loaded a Portuguese console font?

And I created a few aliases to mount/read/umount floppy and CDrom.
The user probably won't do any mounting. Just read news and write email and play solitaire.

Cheers,
Teixeira