baslinux - [BL] VIA modules for 2.4.31 kernel (sound, network) - CD playing problem

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] VIA modules for 2.4.31 kernel (sound, network) - CD playing problem
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 22:40:56 +0000 (UTC)

For my Gigabyte with VIA PCI-IDE controller (use my vps kernel for faster drive access). AMD DDR266 (cpu is a multiple of 133MHz). USB 1.0. My fastest computer without major hardware problems. 1.5GHz. 2003. Three PCI slots.

Kernel 2.4.31 modules (to use with my kernels).

via686 southbridge contains the sound controller

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/via82cxxx_audio.o

Works with sox 13.0 (not older sox), mplayer and timidity, but like i810_audio.o it only produces 48KHz sound and won't work with older sox from SW7.1, or workbone, or mcdp. Sox tells you it is adjusting the 11KHz wav sound (recorded with cdrecord?) to 48KHz. To listen to CDs, record them to a (large) hard drive first and listen with sox or mplayer.

Is there a CD player that can handle these cheap sound chips?
Or some way to steer the output of mcdp to sox?

I tried turning up vol for CD with aumix (all the way). No sound.
Someone else suggested using alsa instead of oss.

I got over 300 hits on this module and 'no sound'.

If you have a free slot, put in a real sound card. I left in my SBLive and loaded the modules for it, and it does play CDs if I move the sound cable to it.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/via-rhine.o
Onboard network adaptor. This one is transferring at about 3 sec per MB.
Is it the driver or the hardware?

I figured out which modules are needed by booting with DSL live CD.
Maybe it will work with this sound chip to play CDs?

The onboard S3 Savage video works well and does vesafb and Xvesa.

I have filled the three slots with scsi, modem, and sound. I could use an external modem instead and also replace the ethernet.

I found a workbone for libc5 with vol control (hit - or + of keypad)
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/workbone-libc5-vol (14K).

There is now a version 2.40.6 (and .8 testing) which also does not work with my sound chip.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] VIA modules for 2.4.31 kernel (sound, network) - CD playing problem, baslinux, 07/07/2008