baslinux - [BL] The BL3 system start-up file (/etc/rc)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] The BL3 system start-up file (/etc/rc)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:58:22 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
> After installing BL3 /etc/pcmcia/start will start ok

You can automate this by removing the # in front of
/etc/pcmcia/start in /etc/rc

> though I need to do extra stuff each time for the cdrom.

This also can be automated in /etc/rc

> If I just try to mount the cdrom at this point with
> "mount /dev/hdc /cdrom", I get "no such device or
> address". But doing the following fixes it;
>
> cd /lib/modules/2.2.26
> cd misc
> insmod cdrom.o
> insmod ide-cd.o
> insmod isofs.o

There is no need to cd to a module directory to do
an insmod. insmod automatically looks in the module
directories.

I suggest all users become familiar with /etc/rc.
It is the system startup file and runs automatically
when BL3 first boots.

Ignore the first two lines. Line 1 is standard for
any shell script. Line 2 sets the path for the script.

Line 3 turns on your swap partition. Point it at your
swap partition, or remove it if you have no swap. The
next line syncs the system following swapon. It is not
needed if you have no swap.

Next comes the file system check. If you have a small
filesystem (eg the 20mb filesystem in the DOS version
of BL3), this takes little time; however, it can be a
nuisance for large filesystems. If e2fsck takes more
than a few seconds on your filesystem, you can modify
it to run occasionally or to run only after a dirty
shutdown. Instructions for doing this appeared here
several weeks ago. It was also discussed last year
(or was it the year before?). Note: if you don't
know how to search the archives, please ask. The
archives contain a ton of useful information.

After the filesystem check in /etc/rc, the partitions
are mounted. Don't remove this line.

The hostname line sets the name for your system. It
is currently set to BasicLinux. You can change it if
you want.

The next two lines establish your localhost. Don't
remove them.

Everything from here on is optional and you are free
to add/subtract whatever you want. Anything with a
# in from of it is not currently implemented. Remove
the # to make it work. Or add a new command -- anything
that works on the commandline will probably work here.

The last line of /etc/rc is optional. It simply displays
the splash screen (/etc/issue). Remove it if you wish,
or edit /etc/issue to create a personalized splash screen.