baslinux - Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Basiclinux 3.5 and wireless (ma401).
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:08:25 +0000

> Has anyone succeeded in using a wireless router as a bridge (to pick up a
> neighbor's wireless signal)?

If you're meaning getting 2 routers to talk to one another (I'm
guessing the neighbour also uses a router?) and I am no expert on this
but I think that this would require something called WDS. Not all
routers support WDS and from what I can gather it's not even
standardised yet! Those routers that run a small version of linux
might work better, but because WDS isn't standardised it means having
to get two routers of exactly the same type and version and model
number. I tried getting a linksys WAG54G and a linksys WDS54G to try
to work together but they both use different ideas of WDS and they
refuse to detect each other! I'm no expert but I've found this to be
quite hit-and-miss really.

ljones