baslinux - Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] don't want e2fsck to run on every boot
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:04:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Steven wrote:

I find it hard to believe that /etc/check-fs is not there. Execute the following from the command line:

I can send you a screenshot if that will help convince you. I've just double checked and I can assure you it isn't there.

-------------------
touch /etc/check-fs
-------------------
Is it there now? If it works now, why wouldn't it
work in /etc/rc?

Yes, it's there after touch'ing. I have no idea why it wouldn't work from the rc file--that's more your area of expertise than mine. Didn't you say you've been using this method yourself for some time?

Are those lines from your /etc/rc, EXACTLY as you
have given them? If so, they are wrong. Where is
the e2fsck part?

Yes, exactly as I have given them. You mean where is the e2fsck part that, in a fresh BL 3 install follows the swapon entry? If that's what you mean, it's still in that same place. Only I commented it out on the assumption that this is what makes e2fsck run on every boot. I understood what you were offering was a replacement for this unwanted behavior and should essentially take the place of the existing e2fsck routine. If I'm wrong about that, I would appreciate a fuller explanation and more complete examples of what to change and how to change it. Please bear in mind that my conversance in bash is quite limited--probably more limited than you would imagine.

That line is also wrong. Moreover, you shouldn't
even be trying that method until the earlier method
is working.

I only discovered it wasn't working when I happened to be rooting around in the /etc directory this morning in a moment that happened to coincide with a recollection that it should be there (I don't typically go around preoccupied with concerns about whether I have the right files in my /etc directory). Again, I thought that you had offered a tried and true method for making e2fsck run only after an unclean shutdown (you said "Yes, that is still the method I use. It works well": the post describing how to modify the way e2fsck runs was made over a year ago, btw, giving the impression that the technique had been in operation for some time).

When you asked about the counting method, I assumed
you had already got the "dirty shutdown" method
working.

I assumed I didn't need to do any troubleshooting for it to work. It was not offered as a tentative solution, but as one that was "production ready."

Silly me.

Ummmmmm . . . no comment :)

James