baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:03:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Ron wrote:

I am not the guru that Steven is, but I wonder if what you are seeing
with a black-on-black Opera isn't connected with an unsuitable colour
depth in the X server. It has been a feature of some of my BL setups
that if I don't match the colour depth of the X server with the
requirements of the graphical programs I run, then I get some very odd
things happen with colour.

Not true, Ron! You _are_ the guru; Steven was probably cowering in fear at the prospect of having to answer to this issue:). But I'm happy to say you've helped me solve it! Taking your cue about color depths, I decided to experiment with different color depths by commenting out sections of my XF86Config file. Well, after I had all sections except the 24 bit one commented out, Opera started for me! The problem seems to have been that, for whatever reason, Opera didn't want to run under this xserver using 8 bit color (the gui would run at all using 16 bit). So you really did help resolve this one for me. Thanks for chiming in with that!

James