baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:34:20 +1000

Hi James,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:14:13 -0500 (CDT), baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Ron wrote:

>> I presume that you have followed the instructions on how to
>> install Opera in BL3 ?

>> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/opera.html

> Yes, I followed those directions.

Excellent. :)

> It
> was after installing that, then trying to run Opera that I got the
> xquerycolors error message and Opera's attempt to start in black and white
> (which ends up being black on black on this monitor). I doubt doing the
> installation in a slightly differing order could cause the problems I'm
> seeing: don't you?

You are probably right.

I am not the guru that Steven is, but I wonder if what you are seeing
with a black-on-black Opera isn't connected with an unsuitable colour
depth in the X server. It has been a feature of some of my BL setups
that if I don't match the colour depth of the X server with the
requirements of the graphical programs I run, then I get some very odd
things happen with colour.

FWIW: I don't run Opera in BL3. Mainly because I have a perfectly
good BL2 setup that is working extremely well after much tweaking.
But I do run a BL3.4 and a BL3.5 distro on this same machine, and I have
never needed an Opera - I am perfectly happy with Links (graphical) and
Lynx.

> I'm coming to the conclusion that Opera cannot be expected to
> run on any alternate xserver under BL 3.5.

I don't think that is right. Opera should be good in BL3.

> I really do need a capable graphical browser like Opera on this machine.

For most things, I find Links to be fast and good.

> Any further suggestions? I like the way BL 3.5 runs on this machine. But
> for this important browser issue, it does seem like the right OS for this
> hardware.

When you first started posting to this list, I was of the opinion that
BL2 would be the way to go if I was in your position. I haven't changed
my opinion. With BL2, you can run not only Opera, but also Phoenix and
Netscape and Dillo.

I will see if I can install Opera onto my BL3.4 setup.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com