baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera problem: xquerycolors fails
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:14:13 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Ron wrote:

I presume that you have followed the instructions on how to
install Opera in BL3 ?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/opera.html

Yes, I followed those directions. I can't say I followed them in the exact order they stand in on the page: somehow, both times I tried this, I installed glibc and misc-libs, then Opera. That is to say that I overlooked the other library upgrade, x-libs, only realizing after I had installed Opera and it wouldn't run, complaining about a missing file (libXex-something?), that I hadn't yet installed the x-libs package. It was after installing that, then trying to run Opera that I got the xquerycolors error message and Opera's attempt to start in black and white (which ends up being black on black on this monitor). I doubt doing the installation in a slightly differing order could cause the problems I'm seeing: don't you?

I did try the Neomagic xserver Sindi pointed me to. It does give a much nicer display than the xsvga xserver. But it does not solve the xquerycolors error message and the black on black window Opera attempts to start in. I'm coming to the conclusion that Opera cannot be expected to run on any alternate xserver under BL 3.5. Not sure what I'll do about this: I really do need a capable graphical browser like Opera on this machine.

Any further suggestions? I like the way BL 3.5 runs on this machine. But for this important browser issue, it does seem like the right OS for this hardware.

James